You're In, Now What?
You just got a spot in the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon—congratulations! But now what?
If your head’s spinning with a million thoughts—Guess I’m planning a trip to NYC! If the race is in November, when do I start training? How will I get to Staten Island in time for the race start? I should buy some training gear to let the world know I’m running this race!—take a deep breath. We’ll walk you through the “what’s next,” from booking your travel and lodging to securing a strong finish on November 4.
Book your trip to NYC
Visit our Travel and Lodging page to start planning. Keep these key locations in mind when choosing a hotel, and look out for instructions on how to select your race-day transportation (included in your race entry fee) in summer 2018.
- Ferries to the start of the race depart Whitehall Terminal at the southern tip of Manhattan.
- Buses to the start of the race depart the New York Public Library at 5th Avenue and 42nd Street in Manhattan and MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
- The finish line is located inside Central Park, near West 67th Street and Central Park West.
- The TCS New York City Marathon Expo Presented by New Balance will be held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center at 11th Avenue and West 35th Street.
You should also familiarize yourself with the TCS New York City Marathon course map, and if you’re traveling to the U.S. from outside the country, brush up on Our Best Advice for Running a Race Abroad.
Experience all that the five boroughs have to offer
The TCS New York City Marathon is a week-long celebration—plan your trip accordingly. Purchase tickets to race-week events, including the TCS New York City Marathon in a Motorcoach, sign up for the Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K on November 3, and visit nycgo.com for information on restaurants, shops, and attractions that can be found in neighborhoods along the TCS New York City Marathon course.
Upgrade to a VIP experience
You’ve got a spot in the race; now add meaning to those 26.2 miles by getting race-ready with NYRR Team for Kids—participants help support running-based fitness programs in schools and communities across the United States. Runners who already have entry can register with TFK, and with a reduced fundraising commitment of $2,100, they’ll receive training, coaching, and great race-day perks. To sign up as an altruist, visit runwithtfk.org.
Pick a training program
Wherever in the world you live, we’ve got a training option—or several—that can take you across the iconic TCS New York City Marathon finish line with confidence.
- NYRR Virtual Training: Our TCS New York City Marathon Training Program is tailored to the course—and to your fitness level, lifestyle, and goal finish time. Simply supply some information about yourself and you’ll receive a customized 12-, 16-, or 20-week training plan that adapts to your schedule and pace as you progress through your training for 26.2. Upgrade to our “Plus” tier for direct access to the NYRR coaching staff, who will guide you through your plan via email.
- NYRR Group Training: If you’re local to NYC, check out morning and evening training sessions in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens. Geared toward runners of all levels, from newcomers to experienced competitive racers, these workouts offer coaching, camaraderie, and the inspiration that comes from running with others.
- NYRR 1:1 Coaching: During each one-hour meeting, your coach will guide you toward hitting your running goals. Along the way, you’ll learn tips on how to improve recovery, eat right, and more. Personal coaching is another great option for those who live in or around New York City.
Regardless of the program you pick, we welcome you to join the NYRR coaching staff on Facebook every Wednesday from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. ET for a live chat, where you’ll have the opportunity to ask your marathon training questions from anywhere in the world.
Get your friends to join you
You got in, and now you’re wondering if your friend or partner can join you. Don’t worry—you won’t be flying solo. Spots in the race are still available through NYRR Team for Kids or one of our more than 350 Official Charity Partners. Runners outside the United States can also still get spots in the race through one of our International Travel Partners. Your loved ones can also sign up to volunteer at the event or join the estimated 1 million spectators who line the streets of the five boroughs on NYC’s best day.
Dress the part
Show off what you have in store for 2018 with official TCS New York City Marathon training gear from New Balance. Shop the collection, which includes tees, half-zips, footwear, and accessories at newbalance.com. Also read Five Steps to Selecting the Right Shoes for Marathon Training.
Keep up with New York Road Runners
Read the TCS New York City Marathon emails that land in your inbox—they contain important information and action items, like when and how to select your baggage and transportation options. Runners can make their selections beginning in early summer.
You can also browse the TCS New York City Marathon Help Center for answers to your questions about the event. Lastly, don’t forget to follow the TCS New York City Marathon on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates, advice, and inspiration.
Test your progress
Looking for tune-up opportunities leading up to November 4? Check out the 12-mile, 15-mile, and 18-mile events in our TCS New York City Marathon Training Series plus annual favorites like the New Balance Bronx 10 Mile on September 30 and the NYRR Staten Island Half on October 14.
Stay inspired for November 4!
Keep the excitement you feel right now going for the next eight months. Check out photos, stories, and videos that capture #MovedMe moments from last year’s TCS New York City Marathon, and help us celebrate New York Road Runners’ 60th birthday. Take a look back at milestones in the host organization’s history, including the moments that grew the New York City Marathon into the biggest marathon in the world.